Here’s the truth… I love children. I may not have my own, but I love kids to pieces (even if some of them are brats). I guess producing and head writing children shows for many, many years can do that to you.
So you can imagine how I felt when I saw this:
Apparently, many public elementary schools don’t have proper libraries. Relegated to the bottom of the priority list, these libraries are often empty and unused.
Some years ago, one of my oldest and dearest friends, Grace M. Leung, has co-founded this wonderful foundation called Ka Eskwela, a non-stock, non-profit organization made up of volunteers who are dedicated to helping public school children attain quality education, which will eventually help them lead better lives. One of their projects is to help schools build better libraries that the children can enjoy.
A few weeks ago, KaEskwela launched its Map and Globe Drive and I was one of those who heeded their call. Since I earn (a little) from this blog, I decided to donate part of my earnings to KaEskwela. This went to the purchase of globes (which were quite expensive, by the way) that were donated to Binaritan Elementary School and Panibatuhan Elementary School, both in Morong, Bataan. Today, Grace sent me the following photos:
Although two schools were given maps and globes, the kids need more! So if you can, please help! Here’s a list of things you can donate:
- Books: storybooks, reference books and textbooks for grade school and high school. We do not accept books for college/ post-grad / adults. Please refrain from giving books that have torn or missing pages; books that were damaged during floods or termite infestations; and books with exercises that have already been answered.
- School Uniforms: white polo, shorts, white shirt, white sando, etc.
- Umbrellas that are light enough for children to carry
- Bags that may be used for school (even sturdy cloth bags will do)
- School Supplies: notebooks, pencils, erasers, pad paper, ballpens, etc.
- Teachers’ Supplies: lesson plan notebooks, calculators, rulers, chalk, etc.
- Office Supplies: bond paper, staplers and staple wires, brown envelopes, etc.
- Art Supplies: crayons, watercolor, pentel pens, craypas, art paper, etc.
- Computer/s and computer accessories
- Educational VCDs or DVDs (we don’t accept VHS or Betamax tapes)
- Flash Cards
There are many other ways to help. You can e-mail me for more information or go to their website at www.kaeskwela.org.
Ka Eskwela is one of the three beneficiaries of Pinay Traveller for a Cause. If you want to help in the cause, e-mail me at email@example.com. For more information, click here.